Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fall Stone Fruit




I visited Berkeley Farmer's Market last Tuesday and found some real gems. It was so nice to see late summer stone fruits in abundance. I picked some Elephant Heart plums and August Red nectarines from Blossom Bluff farm for my galettes this week. If you've never had Elephant Heart plums, now is the time to try them. They are nice and firm, and very sweet. They also hold their shape really well after baking. Of all the plums we have here in California, this is my favorite. The nectarines are very flavorful and a little tart, not overly sweet. This time of year, the stone fruit tend to stay firm even when ripe, so don't be fooled and wait until they are soft. My rule? if they smell good, chances are they are ready.
I also saw some late organic strawberries at the market. I feel very lucky living in the Bay area where I can still have some delicious strawberries at this time of year. I will pick some up next week if they are still around.
This week at the market, I will have a couple (3 to be exact) of 9" galettes for $15 a piece. If you are planning a dinner party this Saturday, make sure you stop by my booth. They are perfect for 6-8 people. Top each slice with creme fraiche, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream to serve.
Did you know that creme fraiche is so easy to make?
Here's a recipe:
Creme Fraiche
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tb buttermilk
Whisk together in a container, put a lid on, and let sit for 24-48 hours at room temperature. After 24 hours, whisk again and taste. If it's not tart enough, then let it sit again for another 12 hours. The warmer the room, the faster it'll go. I like to put it on top of the fridge. To serve, whip creme fraiche, cream, and a bit of sugar (2 parts creame fraiche, 1 part cream). Keep cold until serving, and re-whip if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment